President Bush Says He's A "Compassionate Conservative. What does this mean???
(Source: October 2004 Oakland County Welfare Rights Organization Newsletter)
If President Bush truly is a "compassionate conservative" as he claims ...:
* Why is there a reduction in vouchers for subsidized housing, a waiting list of 31,000 and funds for rehabbing subsidized housing being cancelled.
* Why has the number of people living in poverty grown for the third year in a row?
* Why does the number of Americans with no health coverage keep rising - presently 43.6 million?
* Why is he planning to increase to 40 hours the number of hours people must work in order to receive welfare, while reducing opportunities to get more education and training?
* Why are there 89,000 children in Michigan living in poverty but not enrolled in Head Start due to underfunding of the program?
* Why has the income gap between the richest and poorest risen to the highest level since 1979 when this data was first collected?
* Why is he pushing to continue and expand tax cuts that overwhelmingly favor the rich?
* Why is the U.S. spending $177 million a day, $7.4 million an hour on the war in Iraq, leaving over 2,000 Americans dead and over 14,000 Iraqi civilians dead, while domestic needs are being sacrificed for a war where no weapons of mass destruction have been found?
* Why have there been 400 major U.S. environmental rollbacks in clean water, clean air, protecting forests, etc. to the advantage of buinesses and polluting industries?
* Why is the President's "No Child Left Behind" education program resulting in states having to spend more of their own funds on what many see as questionable requirements?
* Why is the national debt continuing to grow ($45 billion this year), threatening the Country's economic fufure, and especially programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, housing subsidies, etc.