- Sat, Mar 20https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84388581761
PEACE & JUSTICE EVENTS CALENDAR
Click HERE to see the Current Cost of War
Regularly Updated Courtesy of Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit
Submit events for this calendar to firstname.lastname@example.org
This Calendar of events includes activities of a wide range of groups, including members of the Detroit Area Peace with Justice Network (DAPJN), a coalition of Metro-Detroit organizations formed to provide mutual support in our common dedication to peace and justice (see list below).
To submit an event for the calendar, send information to email@example.com
name of event, date/time, name of speakers (if any), URL or other contact information to join the meeting. We do not post general meeting notices, only those with an issue focus/speaker. Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit does not claim to endorse all positions of groups with events posted on this calendar.
MONDAYS: 5:15 p.m. VIGIL FOR PEACE: 9 Mile/Woodward
5 p.m. DEMONSTRATE FOR BLACK LIVES MATTER: 11 Mile/Woodward.
This event will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday on the first weekend of the month.
FRIDAYS: 3:45 p.m. WE STAND WITH OUR NEIGHBORS - IMMIGRATION VIGIL SW Detroit Clark Park, corner of Vernor and Clark. Saturday's (new)11 a.m.
May 12 (6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.) and May 13 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) EVICT ENBRIDGE. These two days include walk, speak out, art, dance, feast/potluck (on May 12th) and live music, speakers, dance on May 13th. Location: Mackinaw City, MI. Co-sponsors: Great Lakes Water Protector Group; Oil and Water Don't Mix; and Mackinawode.
Click HERE for more details.
May 12 6 p.m. SUPER FUN NARAL REPRO JUSTICE TRIVIA NIGHT. PRIZES! Guest speaker Northland Family Planning. Come support an incredible independent abortion provider. Register at this LINK to attend this zoom meeting. Co-sponsored by Michigan Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Network and Northland Family Planning.
May 13 5-6 p.m. THE JOBS WE NEED: A DISCUSSION ON THE BIDEN ADMIISTRATION INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN. Michigan United is hosting a panel discussion on this topic that includes: Congressman Andy Levin and labor leaders Josh Roskamp from IATE and Brenda Hill from the Restaurant Opportunity Coalition. Sign-up HERE.
May 14 2-3 p.m. AAA 1-B ADVOCACY VIRTUAL TOWN HALL. At this event, you will learn about the "Older Americans Legislative Platform". Legislators will participate in a panel discussion re: the MI Choice Medicaid Waiver, Bridging the Digital Divide; Supporting Kinship Caregivers; The Direct Care Workforce; and Unmet Needs for Senior In-Home Service Programs. Register Here: tinyurl.com/aaa1btownhall For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
May 15 10 a.m. WOMEN AND AGEISM -- IN OUR PRIME. Hear Professor Susan J. Douglas, author of "In Our Prime" and several other books relating to women and girls. She's a University of Michigan Professor of Communication Studies. Ageism is a major barrier to living a full life after the age of 45, the age that the USDOL defines as an "older worker". RSVP HERE for this presentation sponsored by Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit. To join the meeting at 10 a.m. on May 15th, click HERE. Or call: 1-646-558-8656; ID: 846 1104 9108
May 15 SAVE THE DATE FOR FRONTLINE TEACH-IN. Gather for a day of learning & to get our marching orders.
May 16 7 p.m. WHAT IS ANTI-SEMITISM? -- A VIRTUAL PANEL DISCUSSION. If I criticize Israel or support Palestinian Rights or BDS, will I be defined as anti-semitic? Sponsored by Jewish Voice for Peace Detroit. Panelists include: Rabbi Jeff Falick; Rene Lichtman, Professor Derek Pensler, attorney activist Huwaida Arraf, and attorney activist Barbara Harvey. Click HERE to register for this event.
May 19 7 p.m. AFTER THE DEREK CHAUVIN VERDICT. WHAT NOW? Huntington Woods Peace Group is sponsoring Nancy Parker, an attorney with the Detroit Justice Center, and David Robinson, a former Detroit Police Officer and a civil rights attorney who won cases against the Detroit Police Department, as speakers. A zoom link will be sent. For more information, email email@example.com
May 20 7 p.m. RACISM NOT RACE. This program sponsored by the Women's International Peace with Freedom, Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit, Peace Action of Michigan, Swords Into Plowshares, and Jobs With Justice will feature Dr. Joseph Graves, evolutionary biologist and author of many books, will answer many questions and deconstruct racial assumptions through scientific analysis and common language. Register HERE
DAPJN COALITION MEMBERS
To JOIN the DAPJN, call Peace Action at (248) 548-3920.
PLEASE SEND GROUP UPDATES TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Alliance to Halt Fermi 3: Web: www.athf3.org
2) Citizens for Peace: Colleen Mills, 734-425-0079, email@example.com
3) Democratic Socialists of America: Lon Herman, 248-546-8180, firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Detroit Catholic Worker- Day House: Tom Lumpkin, 313-963-4539, email@example.com
5) Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit: Randy Block, 248-549-5170
6) Huntington Woods Peace, Citizenship & Education Project: Phyllis Aronson, 248-548-7370, and
Melanie Goldberg, firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntington-Woods-Peace-Citizenship-Education-Project/144083798944934
7) Michigan Alliance to Strengthen Social Security & Medicare: Bob Sisler, 313-824-0952, email@example.com Web: http://detroit.activatehub.org/organizations/126
8) Michigan Coalition for Human Rights: Marge Sears, 313-579-9071, firstname.lastname@example.org
9) Michigan Grail: Mary Coyle, 313-821-1074, email@example.com
10) Meta Peace Team: Kim Redigan, 313-520-7465, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Detroit office 313-483-7527 Web: www.metapeaceteam.org/
11) Michigan Stop The Nuclear Bombs Campaign: Kim Bergier, 248-515-2380, 2MISTNBC@gmail.com
12) Palestine Cultural Office: 313-886-5922, email@example.com
13) Pax Christi Michigan: Pat Valeer, 517-481-5280, firstname.lastname@example.org
14) Peace Action of Michigan: Rich Peacock, 248-321-7480, email@example.com, or Helen Weber, 248-548-3920 Web: www.peaceactionmich.org
15) Pointes for Peace: Jan Scallen, 313-343-0957, firstname.lastname@example.org
16) Swords Into Plowshares Peace Center and Gallery: Clara Lawrence, Director, 248-963-7575
email@example.com Web: www.swordsintoplowsharesdetroit.org/
17) Veterans for Peace: Steve Saelzler, 734-675-4138, firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.vfp74.org
18) Women's International League for Peace & Freedom-Detroit: Laura Dewey, 313-882-1596, email@example.com web: http://wilpf.org/
Click HERE to see the Current Cost of War